Wednesday 21 March 2012

Iced Tea

I refuse to drink iced tea from any can. I'm sure there are some good ones out there but I don't like all the extra sugar. I love my tea and everyone I that knows me will tell you that I am borderline obsessed with tea.  So, when I was in Saint-Hyacinthe visiting a friend's family and stepped into L'Heure du thé, this quaint tea shop downtown I was in heaven. The woman working there offered us some iced tea and I was unsure if I'd like it. I ended up having the opposite reaction and loved it! The lovely woman also gave us a little piece of paper with how to make iced tea which I immediately taped into my recipe book that I started collecting recipes in during high school.

I have been making iced tea ever since. I have tried a variety of teas from different places for this recipe but I prefer the tea I bought at L'Heure du thé. So I thought I'd use it to share the secret with you.

You'll need your tea of choice. I'm using thé vert à la vanille (vanilla green tea) from Le palais des thé. Tea filters and a one liter carafe or other one liter jug.  

The recipe calls for two teaspoons of tea but I normally just eye ball it.

Get you tea in the filter and hang it over the side of your carafe.

Add room temperature water.

Let tea steep. 
30 minutes for green teas.
60 minutes for black teas.

It will look something like this when it's done. 
You can add a teaspoon of maple syrup to sweeten it if you'd like. I like it just as is but I'm sure you could also use honey, sugar, stevia to sweeten it to your liking.

Chill and enjoy!

There are loads of different ways you could make iced tea. If you don't have filters you could always let the tea be loose and filter afterwards or even use tea bags. 

I hope you have a wonderful day and let me know how your ice tea adventure goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment